tree moving

mystic mystic at lcc.net
Mon Jan 24 01:51:49 EST 2000

kbonnici at ivory.trentu.ca wrote:

> The 'tree doctors' web site got the best of me...has anyone else been?
> Get a load of the size of those trees being moved! How the heck is it possible?
> And how much does it cost??? What kind of aftercare is involved? Are the trees
> shaded for a while after replanting? Are they actually moved in full leaf?
> I am certainly puzzled!
>
> Kellie

I worked for a few nurseries in that business, and while we never moved
anything much over a 4" caliper, I saw some of the big boys at work.
It's possible if you take the time to do some preparation. Sometimes
they'll prep a really big tree for two years before they offer it for
sale by inducing new roots closer to the trunk so that there will be
enough to support the tree's functions after it's moved.  They do this
by root-pruning - they make a deep cut 1/3 or 1/2 of the way back from
the dripline every 2 feet around the tree the first year, and then cut
the places they didn't cut the next year.  Root pruning forces new root
growth closer to the trunk, so that when they come in with their digging
equipment (yeah, it's a mondo giant tree-digger thing that looks sort of
like a cone-claw) they get plenty of roots along with the tree.
Cost?  Hundreds, even thousands of dollars for the really big ones.
Aftercare?  Lots and lots and lots of steady water and root-inducing
fertilizers.  Smart tree-movers will thin and shape when they put it
in.  Greedy ones won't, and blame you if the tree dies.  It's best for
the tree if they move it in Jan. or Feb., but I've seen them put in
during mid-July, too.  That's more stressful, but if you are religious
about the watering, you can probably get away with it.  Mature trees
don't really need shading.  Sometimes with smaller ones, we'd wrap the
trunk w/biodegradable insulation paper, just to take a little of the
stress off the cambium.  It's big money  --  strictly for the rich and
impatient.

Appleman