Butternut (Juglans cinerea) decline question.

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Mon Jan 24 10:04:38 EST 2000

In article <FoM5Ez.8HG.A.ebony at news.trentu.ca>, kbonnici at ivory.trentu.ca
writes:

> I wonder if an early spring dormant-oil spray would do any good (as long as all
> dead leaves were removed from the vicinity)? I've never used it for fungal
> pathogens, so I'm not sure that its appropriate--does anyone know?

The common dormant spray for fungal pathogens is lime-sulfur.  It is
commonly mixed with light oil to make a very effective dormant spray.
Applied full strength at full dormancy and half strength at first bud, it
will really help a tree keep clean.

Good orchard sanitation is always the first step in effective disease
control.

-- Larry