Solar tracking

tbrooks tbrooks at uswcl.ars.ag.gov
Thu Jan 27 12:46:01 EST 2000

I'm sorry Henrik, you are mistaken - growth has nothing to do with the
process.  Please review the following references:

Taiz L,  and Zeigler E (1991). Plant Physiology. The Benjamin/Cummings
Publishing Co., Inc.  Redwood City, CA, USA.  p. 253.:

Alfalfa, cotton, legumes including soybean and bean, and some wild species
of the Malvaceae are examples of the numerous species capable of solar
tracking.  In many cases, leaf orientation is controlled by a specialized
organ called the pulvinus, found at the junction between the blade and the
petiole.  The pulvinus has motor cells that change their osmotic potential
and generate mechanical forces that cause the blade dispacement.  In other
plants, leaf orientation is controlled by small mechanical changes along the
length of the petiole and by movements of the younger parts of the stem.
Both phytochrome and a blue light sensitive pigment have been implicated as
photoreceptors in solar tracking.

Nobel PS (1991).  Physiochemicals and Environmental Plant Physiology.
Academic Press Inc., NY, USA. p. 384.

The mechanism for solar tracking invloves changes in hydrostatic pressure
induced by the absoption of blue light by photoreceptors in the leaf veins
or the pulvinus, perhaps via steps similar to those for stomatal opening
discussed in the next champter, leading to changes in leaf orientation.

and:

Koller D (1986).  Yearly Review: The control of leaf orientation by light.
Photochemistry and Photobiology.  44: 819-826.

Regarding cotton - it is an amazing thing to watch - you can watch the
leaves turning throughout the day!

Regards,

Talbot J. Brooks
Dept. of Plant Biology
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ

and

US Water Conservation Laboratory
US Dept. Of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service
4331 E Broadway
Phoenix, AZ 85040