HELP!! Drooping Areca Palm

Steve Hinkson sphinkson at
Fri Jan 28 01:03:28 EST 2000

Ya, Joel...Home centers carry a very thin, lightweight shrinkable plastic
film for insulating
leaky patio doors.  The sheet is about 12 feet long, and about 8 feet
wide.  Carefully wraped, and taped to the pot, on the top, and down the
side tward the window...then shrunk just a tad to remove the wrinkles (you
shrink it with a hair dryer) The makeshift tent can be quite nice looking
for the recovery period, without spending a lot on it.

Joel Ostrow wrote:

> I recently purchased a large Areca Palm (14" pot, about 7' tall).
> Bought it Sunday, transplanted it the same day.  It is cold here
> in Chicago, and I have it near a window.  Still it is mid-60s all
> day in the room, even if the window is a bit drafty.  I watered it
> well, so the soil is moist, but not drenched.  I mist the plant daily.
> Drooping is happening at all levels... even some of the leaves on
> the topmost branches are arching downwards.  I did not fertilize
> upon transplant, as my experience suggests this is not a good
> idea.
> Any suggestions on what might be causing the drooping and how
> to reverse the process and save this beautiful plant from any
> further trauma???
> Thanks!!!
> ostrow at

"You can easily judge the character of a person by how he treats those who
can do nothing for him
or to him." Malcolm Forbes
Drop by and see me at :