Sucrose synthase activity

biostu at iname.com biostu at iname.com
Fri Jan 28 07:25:08 EST 2000

Thank you for the advice, but I get rid of the phloem when I prepare my samples. I measure activities of neutral and cell wall invertases and sucrose synthase on xylem parenchym and vessels. There's no problem with the  first two enzymes, but with the sucrose synthase, since  the use of Nelson's protocol with UDP and sucrose as substrates gave a weak beta-fructofuranosidase activity.
What about the kinetics ? The enzyme could catalyse the inverse reaction too.