Fynbos trip help

Don Galloway galloway at intr.net
Sat Jul 8 15:24:17 EST 2000

I am an amateur botanist who would like to visit the Fynbos in South
Africa for about a month during the upcoming field season.

Could anyone offer any advise about when to go to catch the peak
flowering season? I realize this question can't have a single answer,
but I'm interested in learning what I might see, when.

Also, are there any organization that might offer opportunities to do
field work accompanied by a knowledgeable botanist?  In the USA,  a
number of conservation groups, such as the Sierra Club and the Nature
Conservancy offer such trips within the US and in some Central
American locations. Also, I have from time to time been able to
accompany university-based botanists on such trips. Are there similar
opportunities in SA?

Finally, can anyone suggest any local, i.e., South African,
organizations, such as university botany departments, conservation
groups, tour groups or individuals, that I might contact for more
information.

Thanks

Don