What is this walnut tree disease?

CCSS Corp. employment at ccsscorp.com
Tue Jul 11 10:46:51 EST 2000

Hello People;

If any of you could give me advice on this I would greatly appreciate it.

I have a rather large (about 8 feet circumference trunk) walnut tree that
seems to have some type of disease this year. Many of the top branches
already appear to be dead and about 1/2 of the leaves have a bumpy,
mottled look to them. The leaves are also much smaller this year than in
past years by perhaps 33%.

I scanned two of the leaves front and back and put them at the following
links:

http://www.tsoft.com/~mamabear/walnut/back3.jpg
http://www.tsoft.com/~mamabear/walnut/front3.jpg

These are from the lower branches that I could reach, but it seems more
at the top of the tree. Many leaves near the top appear almost yellow and
dead.

These images are about 50 to 60k and may take a few moments to download.

If any of you good folks could help me identify what is wrong with my walnut
tree and suggest any way to save it I would be most thankful.

I will check back in bionet.plants and sci.bio.botany often, or my email
address is: kimmie at afnat.com

Peace to You and Yours;

Kim