Help required with pest!!

Beverly Erlebacher bae at cs.toronto.edu
Tue Jul 18 19:37:29 EST 2000

In article <8l2bv7$ait$1 at fraggle.esatclear.ie>, John <j__q at hotmail.com> wrote:
>Hope I'm using the right group to ask for help....!!
>
>I'm growing a number of plants indoors at the moment - fuschias and a range
>of herbs.  However, they all seem to be infested with tiny white grubs of
>some sort.  They are anything from about 1 to 3 mm in length, and move with
>incredible speed.  Sometimes, when watering, they actually leap around.  I'm
>worried they might be doing some damage, as some of the herbs don't seem to
>be doing to well lately.  Can anybody help me identify/cure this problem??.

Sounds like springtails (collembolids) a type of primitive insect that
eats dead organic matter.  They are harmless.  Keeping the soil surface
dry will help control them if you don't like seeing them.

Most culinary herbs like lots of sun and heat and minimal water.  It may
not be possible to accomplish this in Ireland. :-)

A better group for home gardening questions would be one of the rec.gradens
groups.  I think there's a uk.gardens too.