Help me SPIDER MITES!!!!!

Dr. Klaus Eimert eimert at web.de
Wed Jul 26 04:16:42 EST 2000

"Richard L. Wainwright" wrote:

> Hey! The easiest, safest and most effective way to control mites is with
> horticultural oils such as Neem Oil (by Green Light) or UtraFine Oil (by
> SunSpray) There was a recent study by the Connecticut Agriculteral
> Experiment Station in Windsor, Conn. who found that horticultural sprays out
> performed even the strongest chemicals, including ones used by professional
> nurseryman.  Oils work better because 1) it kills both adult mites as will
> as their eggs through suffocation.  Other miticides only target the adults,
> and within days any viable eggs hatch and the cycle continues. 2) Mites
> can't develop resistance to oils as they can against chemicals.  Adult male
> mites carry a gene which helps them adapt rapidly to poisons.  Since oils
> work by suffocation, they cannot adapt against this.  3)Oils are gentler
> than other miticides.  They don't take out the Good Guys (including you!).
> Following treatment, the number of bad mites drops quickly and dramatically,
> allowing the predatory mites a chance to catch up and control them for the
> rest of the season.  They also do not harm other good guys like lady bugs,
> bees, praying mantis, etc.  Another great benefit of Neem Oil in particular,
> is that it also is very effective against powdery mildew, rust, black spot
> and a host of other fungal diseases.  I use it on my roses regularly.  I am
> a Landscape Design Consultant so gardening is my passion.  Hope you will go
> out and buy it now and save your angel's trumpet.  Pat Wainwright at
> pat at allmine.org

Hi there,

just a few questions for my understanding: how do these oils work
selectively (e.g. kill only the "bad guys") if they work through
suffocation? I would assume they would kill ANY insect by closing
thracheids and preventing breathing. Do these oils really kill the eggs?
Do insect eggs have to breath (I have no idea)? Or do they just kill the
hatched larvae? In this case I would think that one has to repeat the
treatment every two weeks or so. If these oils really work selectively I
would rather assume some kind of chemical action of the oils or at least
of some of it's ingredient(s). Do I see this wrong?
Regards,

Klaus

Dr. Klaus Eimert
Dept. of Botany
State Research Institute Geisenheim	Phone:    + 49 6722 502 469
Von-Lade-Str. 3				Fax:      + 49 6722 502 460
D-65366 Geisenheim			E-Mail:   eimert at web.de
Germany					URL: www.mnd.fh-wiesbaden.de/fag/bio/bo/ebostart.html