"Flowers of the Field"

Monique Reed monique at mail.bio.tamu.edu
Fri Jun 2 09:13:14 EST 2000

I think the original reference may be from Christian scripture (see
Matthew 6:28-29): "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the
lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you
that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of
these." Whether linguistic scholars have been able to link any
particular species to the phrase is debatable, but one source
(Mabberley, The Plant Book, 1997) suggests Anemone coronaria or
Sternbergia lutea.

M. Reed