Fungi growing on soil. Southern England.

ecoli at ecoli at
Mon Jun 5 11:15:35 EST 2000

> ==========
> bionet/plants #11570, from kdbanglia at, 902 chars, 03 Jun 2000
> ----------
> Article: 22872 of bionet.plants
> Path:!!!!bignews!!!
> or-mail
> From: kdbanglia at (KDBANGLIA)
> Newsgroups: bionet.plants
> Subject: Fungi growing on soil.  Southern England.
> Date: 03 Jun 2000 21:35:14 GMT
> Can anyone give a rough idea of what the outcome of outcrops of fungi
on soil
> is ?
> The fungi grows in a cupped shape, upto about an inch and a half
across, has a
> white testured outer bloom and a smooth khaki coloured inner.
> I'd guess at poor drainage !
> Richard Brooks.
Hello Richard,
What do you know about the soil ? If farmyard manure (FYM) or other
bulky organic waste has been recently (last six months) incorporated it
is quite common for fruit bodies to emerge from bare soil.(I have a load
coming up in my vegetable patch at the moment after a heavy FYM
dressing.They are essentially based in lumps of manure that have not yet
been completely incorporated.
Try looking up the genera Otidea and Peziza for pictures that might
As to the "outcome" it is hard to say that there is one apart from the
fact that that particular fungus is present and found the soil and the
season just right. It will be decomposing organic matter  just like
nearly all the other bacteria and fungi that exist in millions in every
handful of soil.

 Peter Harris
 Reading, UK.