Radish in hydroponic culture system

Chuck.R chuck at spectrumanalytic.com
Thu Jun 8 07:51:08 EST 2000

In my mind, clay pellets(depending on the type of clay).   could reduce the
number of exchangable cations available to the plants.  Perhaps a coarse
sand gravel mixture would be better.  Whatever the nutrient is causing the
shortage, it is mobile in the plant (translocates).  I think the deficiency
is Mg but there is a better way to discover the shortage.

If you decide to re-run the experiment I would suggest you harvest ALL of
the foliage (no roots) and have it analyzed to determine which nutrient(s)
is/are deficient.  Also, find out what the pH of the effluent of the
container is.  It should be in the range of 6.0 to 6.7 to optimize nutrient
availability.

Incidentally, when leaf show any visible sign of deficiency the Ps rate of
that leaf is for all practical purposes, zero.