Birds eating geraniums

I DON'T LIKE SPAM!!! spam.spam at spam.spam.com
Fri Jun 9 10:10:44 EST 2000

On Fri, 09 Jun 2000 07:22:10 -0700, jem
<mormanjNOmoSPAM at sa.noacsc.org.invalid> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm new to the forum, and have a question about birds/flowers.
>
>Last year I planted moss roses along our landscape rocks; within
>a week the birds had eaten them to the ground.
>
>This year I planted geraniums (@2.49 ea.) along the 70+ foot
>scape.  Guess what!  Birds are eating them to the ground.
>
>No, its not a rabbit ~~ it's birds ~~ robins to be precise.
>
>Tried spraying with red hot mixture (works for rabbits), and now
>I've put moth balls around the flowers.  I'd hate to have to
>resort to the BB gun, but these birds are eating gourmet meals
>and I'm paying the tab.  Any suggestions?
>Thanks, Jem

As a general rule, most birds probably have no real sense of smell
and/or taste, so the pepper and moth balls probably won't work.

Although I hate to suggest it, mainly because they tend to do too good
of a job killing birds, a cat may be your best defense. Maybe if you
planted catnip in the garden to attract local feral felines, birds
would be less likely to dine on your flowers.

Just my 2 electrons' worth.