Irises need dividing

Sage Reynolds colsage at flash.net
Sat Jun 17 23:53:02 EST 2000

Irises can be safely divided and replanted in July .  As the leaves yellow.
cut them  about 6 inches from the rhizome, leaving a fan of cut leaves.  Dig
up the  rhizomes and separate them from each other discarding anything that is
dried, dead, or mushy.  Rework the soil with compost and fertilizer. Replant
the rhizomes so that the roots are buried and the rhizome is about half way
into the soil. After a brief rest the plant will start to grow  again and by
November you should have  nice looking fans of new leaves.  Be sure that the
area  is well drained.  That is to say that water should not puddle around the
rhizomes for very long.
 Good luck.