rash from tamarack tree?

I DON'T LIKE SPAM!!! spam.spam at spam.spam.com
Tue Jun 20 14:19:10 EST 2000

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 14:57:52 GMT, wjboelem at my-deja.com wrote:

>In article <2000Jun17.001130.20865 at jarvis.cs.toronto.edu>,
>  bae at cs.toronto.edu (Beverly Erlebacher) wrote:
>> In article <8i8qcd$f7p$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <wjboelem at my-deja.com>
>> >Has anyone heard of getting a poison-ivy like rash from a tamarack
>> >(Larix larcina) tree?  I planted one in my parents' yard froma local
>> >wetland and its the only thing I can think of that I contacted that
>> >could cause the rash.
>> People can develop allergies to almost anything, so it's conceivable
>> that you have an allergy to larch, but "local wetlands" can be poison
>> ivy farms too.  Even if it wasn't you who dug and hauled it, if it got
>> bashed into some PI enough to get some juice on it, it could have
>> it on to you.
>Thanks for the response.  There was no poison ivy in the area, so I
>don't know what else could have caused it.
>email is actually wjboelem at mtu.edu
>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.
did a quick altavist search for "contact dermatitis" and tamarack:

Does not specifically state that tamarack can cause dermatitis, but
other Larix species may.

This site specifically discusses colophony, a sensitivity to rosins
such as those produced by pines and tamarack.

"Sawdust from the wood has ben known to cause dermatitis in some

Hope this helps.