Why does organic fruit have no worms?

- oo -oo at spambusters.com
Tue Jun 27 12:25:12 EST 2000

Even under the most restrictive "organic" standards, such as Oregon's,
some pesticides are acceptable.

Pyrethrins, for example, are highly toxic to humans, but are
considered organic because they are of "botanical" origin. In this
case it's considered righteous to use the plant-based poisons, but not
safer, manufactured alternatives.

Other, much less toxic, pesticides are very effective against worms
and are widely used by organic growers. Bt-toxin is probably the best
control measure, in its effectiveness, its safety and its
environmental impacts. It's a naturally occuring protein from bacteria
that is an effective control against larval stages of moths (worms, if
you will). It is safe for humans and  "organic" but it is also an
expensive control measure. That's part of the reason you pay more for
oganic produce.

FWIW, the Bt toxin is what is "engineered" into Monsanto's corn to
make it resistant to corn borer. Is that really any different from
spraying Bt-toxin on apple trees?