What is wrong with our rhododendron?

Tom Stone tstone at naturegolf.com
Tue Mar 14 05:51:20 EST 2000

I looked at your pictures and have a few questions.  In picture 3, it
appears that there is some damage to the stems of the plants.  Am I
seeing that correctly?  There appear to be splits or cracks in the green
wood also.

You didn't indicate where you live, are these irrigated, how long they
have been in the ground, how you planted them, etc.  I live in a
tropical environment where rhododendrons don't live, but I have
witnessed similar symptoms here related to freeze damage, irrigation
running at or near freezing, or on plants which have experiences fast
new growth prior to a freeze.  Do any of these situations sound familiar
to you?

Tom