Absorption of arsenic by edible plants

David J. Bockman djb_mapson at bunabayashi.com.invalid
Tue Mar 21 10:56:16 EST 2000

Yes, the Enviormental Protection Agency. From
http://www.awpi.org/oaq-a.html:

"Consumer Information Sheets Approved by U.S. EPA:"

"Q. What do scientific studies say about the safety of pressure-treated
wood?

A. Scientific research studies have shown the following:
preserved-wood products last longer than alternative products, and thereby
conserve a renewable natural resource;
wood preservatives do not aggressively leach into the ground or waterways,
drinking water supplies, or adversely affect marine life; proper handling
and use of preserved wood poses no increased risk of cancer or other
illnesses among human, animal, and marine life; and preserved-wood products
have been extensively tested and proved to be more reliable and durable than
alternative products which require more energy to produce and may be
esthetically unacceptable to consumers."

"Q. Is there any reason why treated wood should not be used in gardening
projects?

A. The extra durability of pressure treatment makes treated wood the perfect
product for building raised beds, terraced gardens, grape or tomato stakes,
mushroom trays, vineyard supports, retaining walls, trellises, arbors,
garden furniture, compost bins, walkway steps, flower bed edging, or
planters. Any assertion that gardeners should not grow edibles in planters
or raised beds made with treated wood is without basis. Independent research
conducted by county extension agents in Texas, in cooperation with Texas
A&M's Laboratory and Southwest Research Institute, has concluded that both
creosote- and water-borne-treated wood are not harmful in garden use. In
tests on water-borne-treated wood, the treated timbers varied in age from
six months to nine years. Arsenic levels in soil samples taken from the
garden were no more than what occurs naturally in any soil. Further, the
levels of arsenic one inch from the timbers and 12 inches from the timbers
were the same, indicating no migration of the preservative from the timbers.

Pentavalent arsenate, the kind used in wood preservatives, should not be
confused with commercially produced trivalent arsenic, which is not used in
any wood preservative. Pentavalent arsenate occurs naturally in the soil,
water, air, plants, and in most living creatures-including humans.

Finally, in tests of creosote-treated wood, no creosote was detected at a
threshold of 660 parts per billion."

On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email: djb at bunabayashi.com

news:1e7tzkz.1d3p47z99zj5sN at ip211.los-angeles35.ca.pub-ip.psi.net...