Absorption of arsenic by edible plants

gardenlen ntbandit at globec.com.au
Tue Mar 21 13:42:50 EST 2000

In article <38D78185.34AB85DA at ix.netcom.com>,
Maria Luna and Mark Bornfeld <bobsey at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> My neighbor just erected a barricade fence made of pressure-treated
> wood, right next to my vegetable patch. I know how toxic this wood is:
> just ask the people at Home Depot to cut it to size for you, and
they'll
> tell you they can't do it due to health regulations. I also read
> somewhere that over time, the arsenic compound used to treat
> pressure-treated lumber can leach into the surrounding soil.
>
> My question is: What risk, if any, is posed by eating
vegetables/fruits
> planted near pressure-treated wood structures? I have planted
tomatoes,
> strawberries, and arugula in the past, and had planned to plant a few
> raspberry bushes. Should I revise my plans?
>
> ---Mark Bornfeld

g'day mark,

i'm one of the ones who are going to err on the side of caution, for me
i just don't know how independant research is that is paid for by the
manufacturer, just being a little sceptical as money usually talk
loudest.

i had some work done on my house that required the use of treated
timber the supplier ensured that all waste and sawdust was disposed of
in the trash can he warned me about not putting the sawdust into any of
my gardens.

i had a look at that web site provided by a couple of the posters there
seems to be a informative 'don't do' list. i have heard of people in
aus' being hospitalised and i also remember someone dying from using
treated timber as b.bq wood. just wonder then how safe it realy is in
the environment of the vege/edible garden. i also did an introduction
to permaculture course at a local college (2 day course) and it was
recommended to us all (by the horticulturist) to never use treated
timber for vege gardens.

just my experiences to date.

len

--