Absorption of arsenic by edible plants

Alf Christophersen alf.christophersen at basalmed.uio.no
Wed Mar 22 17:14:53 EST 2000

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000 18:26:48 GMT, stevens at vtaks.com (Dan) wrote:

>Maybe theres even test results, showing which edible plants would be
>safe to plant in such areas, but I dont know of any yet.

Since asparagus has been grown in arsenerich soil for centuries (from
composted seaweed where bacteria has decomposed organic arsenides into
arsenates or arsenides, not sure what, but the poison arsenic is one
of the decay products) and no one has complained about being killed of
eating asparagus, I would bet planting asparagus around the place
contaminated should be safe.