Absorption of arsenic by edible plants

Frank Reilly freilly at mail.vt.edu
Thu Mar 23 10:35:56 EST 2000

Planter wrote:

"This is an issue that requires a responsible posture to the
subject---PROVIDE CITES OR REFRAIN FROM POSTING UNSUBTANTIATED
CLAIMS---DO SCIENCE!

Personally, I don't wish to have the health and safety of another
indivdual on my conscience by advising that the use of wood that
contains a preservative---the subject of long term continuing
controversy and lack or reliable testing---is safe.  Far better to err
on the side of caution by avoiding the material entirely in fruit and
vegetable gardening applications while the issue is resolved beyond
doubt. "

I HAVE read the studies.  I read them WITHOUT PRE-CONCEIVED BIAS.  The
studies HAVE been cited in this thread.  The use of CCA treated lumber HAS
been tested, and found to pose risk below the de minimus level.  YOU CHOOSE
to ignore the studies ( I can't read them for you.).  The safety of CCA
lumber has been scientifically tested, and the testing has the force of law
in that CCA treated lumber is listed for use in vegitable gardening by the
EPA.
You may choose for yourself to ignore the studies.  You may choose for
yourself to avoid using the lumber.  You may even choose for yourself to
continue to ignore the studies that have been cited, and to note with great
excitement that the sky is falling.

That is why it is so ludicrous that YOU invoke the use of science.  Your last
sentance in the snippet above shows your absolute lack of familiarity with
the scientific method.  You say..."while the issue is resolved beyond
doubt. "  No one with ANY familiarity with the scientific method would
pretend that anything could be established beyond doubt.  The negative can
never be proven, because just one exception disproves the negative.  My
advise to you is to crawl back beneath the bridge where you and the other
trolls live, and let this one drop.

--
<x-rich><bold><italic>Frank Reilly

Extension Associate - Urban Nutrient Management

Virginia Cooperative Extension - King George County

P.O. Box 410

King George, VA 22485

Phone: 540-775-3062

Fax: 540-775-5645