Absorption of arsenic by edible plants

Alf Christophersen alf.christophersen at basalmed.uio.no
Fri Mar 24 11:44:17 EST 2000

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 06:35:11 GMT, stevens at vtaks.com (Dan) wrote:

>LOL  I read this article, and then just today I saw a commercial for
>Centrum Silver heart vitamin supplements, BOASTING of having sellenium

Depending on where you live in US, you may have lot of selenium in
your diet and other places it is lacking, and you will get selenium
deficiency diseases, like heart failure, cancer and a long range of
other diseases, which are more and more common the less selenium there
is in the food you eat.

But, we are talking about concentrations in food in fractions of toxic
amounts. For selenium, iron, copper, arsenic, and most other metals
there are concentration ranges where they are protecting against
diseases, and other concentrations and amounts where it will be toxic.
With some, the range may be very low, for others, it may be quite high
amounts daily. For iron, we are talking about mg and , for selenium
and arsenic, we are talking about microgram and ppm's or ppb's daily.
For mercury, it is even less. For cadmium, even lesser than that. But
all of them has an optimum range which it should not go less than. For
mercury, lead and cadmium, diet today contains hundreds or thousand
times the optimal range, for selenium, in certain districts like
Keshan area, it is a hundreth part of the optimal range and untreated
children did die in huge number, but after finding selenium deficiency
was responsible, and they are given doses of 250 microgram selenium
daily, Keshan disease is almost eradicated. But it is interesting to
se that Keshan disease stops exactly on the border of China. Outside
China, Keshan disease is unknown as a diagnose. They just die of heart
attack (Selenium concentration is not tested at all outside China in
the geological area that is almost free of selenium)