Indoor Tomato

Slasher Doggo elliot1001 at aol.co.uk
Mon Nov 6 16:55:32 EST 2000

Hi, I hope you will be able to help me.

I am growing 5 moneymaker tomato plants under artificial light.  They are
potted in a mix of perlite and potting compost; roughly 3:1 maybe 1.5.

They are lit by 5 minifluoro tubes, the kind with their own on board
ballast, designed for replacing indoor bayonet bulbs.  There are 4x11w (600
lumen each) bulbs and a 15w (900 lumen).  They are on a 24/7 light cycle,
i.e. no night.  This is a lot of light in a 15"square growbox.  The position
of the plants in relation to the lights can be varied to take account of
growth up to 5'.

The reason for that is I would like a crop of toms for Xmas :-)

Now they have chlorotic leaves which I guess is caused by a lack of
magnesium and/or iron.  I am also guessing that because of the constant
light the plants cannot draw sufficient other nutrients from the soil mix at
a speed sufficient to support the nitrogen fed growth.

So what are the thoughts on feeding fertilizer and on varying the light
cycle?

All sensible, well intentioned advice welcome.

Thanks.