Question on growth lamp

Jens Klute Jens.Klute at desy.de
Thu Nov 9 13:42:01 EST 2000

Dear friends,
What do you think about the idea to recycle second hand solarium lamps
as plant growth lamps?
A friend of mine carries on the business with solariums. The lamps are
changed when they have been used for about 300h, but the specification
is up to 800h. I want to grow chili peppers in Germany, but we have very
less sun here. The question is: Are the plants hurt by too hard
radiation, if I use solarium lamps in place of normal plant growth
lamps? How much time a day is enough to irradiate the plants?
I would be very glad if someone could tell me some experiences or ideas
or explain me that it is nonsense what I want to do.

Many greetings from, Jens