Frequency of Watering house plants

gardenlen gardenlen at optushome.com.au
Sun Nov 12 13:45:30 EST 2000

In article <3a0e47fa.16031082 at news.gibralter.net>,
  removemonty at gibralter.net (Monty) wrote:
> I am new to the house plant thing.  Being a single man (again), I have
> developed a fondness for house plants. (they complain alot less than
> wives)  My question is (if everyone isn't too offended at my cynicism
> and bad grammer/spelling) How often to water them?  I have been told
> that watering them too much will rot the roots.  For some time now, I
> have been watering every other day.  Please help.
>
> Monty

g'day monty,

a good rule of thumb for wateing is to push you finger to the depth of
the first knuckle into the potting mix if the mix is still damp and
adheres to the finger there is sufficient moisture, if it is dry then
water.

the best method of watering is to a container ie.,. bucket or similar,
that is more than large enough to contain the plant pot, place the
potted plant into this container fill untill the water level reaches
the top of the plant pot not over and let it soak for 1/2 hour, drain
and put plant back into preffered position.

len

--
happy gardening 'it works for me it could work for you'
<http://members.optushome.com.au/gardenlen/index1.htm>

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.