Clover

Edwin Hutton e.hutton at ic.ac.uk
Tue Nov 14 04:19:40 EST 2000

JANVIER TRACY wrote:

> Does anyone know of the plant name, in which it is open a majority of
> the day and closes at night.  It looks like a clover, I think it is part
> of that family

Quite a lot of the Compositae family (daisy-like or dandelion-like)
do this. They all have a lot of florets sticking up out of a
sort of sheath called the involucre, which is able to operate the
opening/closing process. I cannot see a clover-like
flower (family Leguminosae) being able to do this as the florets
are all on tiny stalks with no surrounding structure to operate
the closing mechanism.

Does anyone else know any better?

Edwin Hutton