Clover

wIlD bIlL billmars at merle.acns.nwu.edu
Tue Nov 14 13:51:17 EST 2000

I believe the plants you are referring to are the sorrels- of the genus
mame "Oxalis".  The oxalis comes from oxalic acid which gives the leaves
of this plant a sour taste.  When I was a boy I remember my mother
putting sorrel in her soups to give them a little tang.

Here in the woodland areas of Chicago, Illinois (USA) the most prominent
sorrel is the is the wood sorrel (Oxalis stricta).  It is a short little
plant with small 5-petal yellow flowers.  As you said, its leaves are
distinctly clover-like which droop and fold together at night.

Best Regards,
Bill Marszalec