Ginkgo: how long in US?

Bob Kirk reikirk at ksu.edu
Wed Nov 22 22:03:26 EST 2000

   I really don't have time to mess with this, and various searches a few
days back proved fruitless, but re the unchallenged assertion that Ginkgo
has only been in the USA since (?) 1913:
   Michael Dirr lists this as introduced to cultivation in 1787, which
per style [of his Manual of Woody Landscape Plants] would be the earliest
recorded cultivation, but 1913 seems >awfully< late for something that's
been around that long to have reached here.
   Besides, a passage sticks in my mind - Oliver Wendell Holmes (I don't
know whether the father (1809-94) or son (1841-1935) proposing to his
future wife on (?) Boston Commons: "Will you take the Long Walk with me?"
And failing correction I believe that was in the non-metaphorical sense an
avenue of ginkgo trees which must thus by sometime in the mid-1800's have
been sufficiently mature to be a named landscape feature.

   bk---

"Oh, yes, yes, I will!"   Readers may now either swoon
or point out that these were elm trees, chestnuts etc.