Mars attacks

David Kirschtel kirschte at
Mon Oct 9 13:40:47 EST 2000

AdValorem wrote:
> Hi,
> I've found a strange fruit (and I'm not even sure it's a fruit). It looks
> very much like the brains of the aliens in Mars Attacks, it's green and it
> has the size of a fist, or even bigger. The inside is almost white and looks
> like fibers. It seems to grow on the highest branches of a tree (about 10m
> over the ground).

Denis -

  Sounds like it might be Osage Orange (Maclura pomifera) or something
related. It's in the family Moraceae, which includes mulberries and breadfruits.

Osage orange is native to North America, but given that you found it in
a park it may be there as a specimen planting.

A site to help you decide if my guess is correct:

Hope that this is helpful.

      David Kirschtel * kirschte at * 517.432.0898
    112 N Kedzie Lab * Mich State Univ * E Lansing, MI * 48824