airborn seed pods

Monique Reed monique at mail.bio.tamu.edu
Thu Oct 12 13:50:30 EST 2000

I can think of several things that have airborne seeds, if not the
pods.  Will that do?  Campsis (trumpet creeper) has winged seeds,
Tillandsia (ball moss and Spanish moss) has seeds with parachutes, as
does Typha (cat tail.)

I've also seen some winged seeds of a tropical member of the
Bignoniaceae--the fruit looks like a lady's powder compact.  It splits
to reveal many very flat, 1-inch-diameter seeds.  Each seed has a
papery wing all the way around so that the seed plus the wing is
nearly 4 inches across.  Each one looks quite like a flattened paper
candy cup such as one finds in chocolate boxes.

M. REed