Could you name this plant? URL

Brian ard at mad.scientist.com
Sat Oct 14 09:05:50 EST 2000

Greetings all,
I live in San Francisco.  Thus much of what grows around here is not native
and I have had zero luck trying to find a name for this one.
A few points that may help...
I took a cutting of this plant in early June (when the dry season starts
here) when the flowers had faded.  Actually, I have been watching this plant
for years, being the only one of its kind I have located.  It  grows on a
sunny hillside next to a path I use when hiking.  On that day in June I
noticed a branch close to the path had been recently broken off and decided
to take advantage of the situation.  The main stem is woody, the leaf stems
seem "succulent", the leaves three lobed.  A "cool" thing about this plant
is the behavior of the leaves, during the day they are as seen in the
photos, but at night they fold upwards as if to protect itself somehow.
(What would the term for this action be?)  It won't start raining regularly
here until about Nov. so the parent plant looks rather ratty at this point
(few and small leaves at the stem tips).
That is about it.  The URL is  www.dreamwater.com/dudleya/q4.jpg
Any help on the approximate binomial is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Brian