Itching and Swelling

Monique Reed monique at mail.bio.tamu.edu
Mon Oct 16 09:57:45 EST 2000

I think there are two or three possible culprits:

1.  Nettle--Urtica chamaedryoides is very common.  One can also find
the European nettle, U. urens.

2.  Noseburn--Tragia.

Both genera have white stinging hairs.  The hairs are made of silica
(essentially, glass). When they go into your skin, they break off and
release formic acid, the same chemical as in ant bites.  Anti-itch
cream may be useful, as may a paste of baking soda and water.

3. Bull nettle--Cnidoscolus texanus.  This has rather star-shaped
leaves and nasty stinging hairs that can go right through clothing.
I'm not sure what the active ingredient in the sting is.

M. Reed