Plants producing Oxygen at Night

Edwin Hutton e.hutton at
Mon Oct 23 03:15:05 EST 2000

Riki Clarke wrote:
> Hi all
> Can anyone answer my dilemma regarding plants as I was led to believe that
> certain types of plant were more suitable for the bedroom than others
> because they produced or released Oxygen at night. Is this true - can plants
> produce oxygen at night or can they store oxygen they have produced during
> the day to release at night ???
> If they do please give plant examples.
> Many Thanks
> Rik.
IIRC all plants with chlorophyll produce oxygen and absorb carbon
dioxide when light is shining on the leaves (xCO2 + yH20 -> sugars
+ O2), but in the dark they actually absorb oxygen and give off carbon
It doesn't have to be daylight to produce oxygen, artificial light
will do.

Plants without chlorophyll have to be parasitic to get their

Edwin Hutton