Plants producing Oxygen at Night

Søren Laurentius Nielsen nielsen at virgil.ruc.dk
Mon Oct 23 07:47:38 EST 2000

 Plants with CAM (Crassulacean acid metabolism) does not absorp and
store oxygen at night - rather they absorp and store carbon dioxide,
which they use in photosynthesis during the day, resulting in oxygen
release.

>Storage of oxygen is done by Crassulaceae. They absorb oxygen at night und
>produce sugar during the day. It is an adaptation to the hot temperatures at
>daylight. But i think, that you are searching for the other way. Store
>oxygen during the day and release it at night. I never heard of something
>like that.
>
>Edgar

Søren Laurentius Nielsen
Department of Life Sciences and Chemistry
Roskilde University, Denmark
nielsen at virgil.ruc.dk
http://virgil.ruc.dk/~nielsen