Poison Sumac type plant ID needed

I DON'T LIKE SPAM!!! spam.spam at spam.spam.com
Tue Sep 5 14:12:37 EST 2000

On Tue, 05 Sep 2000 15:03:07 -0400, I DON'T LIKE SPAM!!!
<spam.spam at spam.spam.com> wrote:

>On 05 Sep 2000 16:46:59 GMT, rabbath at aol.com (Rabbath) wrote:
>
>>I have some small tree-like plants in my back yard (Boston, MA suburb), and I
>>would like to know what they are.  The leaves look like Poison Sumac, but there
>>are no bogs or swamps nearby.  I have seen some of these grow 20-30+ feet tall.
>> And I believe that they have clusters of red berries on them at some point in
>>the year.  Thank you so very much for any info.  Please email me.
>>
>>Rabbath at aol.com
>I seem to remember that the box-elder has the nick-name of poison-ivy
>tree because its compound leaves resemble those of poison ivy. Perhaps
>this is what you have. A quick note: the compound leaves of box elder
>actually have 5 leaflets, not three, but two of the five are up the
>stem a little bit, so that the terminal 3 leaflets at a glance look
>like poison ivy. I can't remember what color the berries look like,
>but it seems to me that they are unusual in that they are subtended by
>a bract which is perfoliate, and looks unusual.
>
>Hope this helps.
Sorry... I read your post too quick. I was thinking poison ivy and
poison oak, not poison sumac.

As another poster pointed out (in another group), you may be thinking
about a non-poisonous sumac, such as staghorn or smooth sumac.
Although 20-30 feet seems too big. I have seen staghorn sumac up to 10
foot tall, but not much taller. These plants are not uncommon along
roadsides and waste areas, but not as frequent in urban areas. During
the fall their leaves turn brilliant red, and the cluster of berries
stay on throughout most of the winter. And the red berries, at least
of the staghorn sumac, are fairly densely covered with small hairs.