I.D. needed on houseplant

Norman Frank ngfrank at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 8 10:42:52 EST 2000

     Thanks to everyone who took the time and interest to respond to my
post. I appreciate the good efforts on my behalf.
     I returned to Home Depot to double-check their information labels and
found two types of plants for sale....one looked like mine and was labeled
FOLIAGE PLANT while the other had the same general type of canes, but leaves
which looked much more like corn  (after 30 years on the farm that's one
leaf I can recognize) and labeled CORN PLANT. So, I guess I'll experiment a
bit with sun and water until my plant lets me know its preference.....Norman

Dennis G. <dennis_goos at mindlink.net> wrote in message
news:39b5cfc8.30645425 at news.paralynx.com...
> Cordyline terminalis, sometimes called draceana terminalis, is sold in our
area
> as "Corn Plant' often- presumably because of the foliar similarities.
Sometimes
> the 'mother' plants are sold and look as you describe when the cane
cuttings
> have been taken and new growth starts near the top of the remaining cane.
>
> You could search the net for images of Cordyline or 'Ti" plants and see if
that
> is it. Or if your more adventuress take a trip to Papeete and check them
out !

> Dennis
> =================
> "Norman Frank" <ngfrank at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> >     I was in Home Depot and bought a plant hoping my  wife could
identify
> >it, but she thinks it is a "corn plant' and it doesn't exactly match the
> >picture. They had a whole table of them, and it only costs $15, so I
imagine
> >its pretty common.
> >     The plant stands about 3-4 feet high and is in a 10 inch pot. The
main
> >feature is the trio of naked trunks each about 1-2 inches in diameter.
These