clumping / running bamboo containment

Alfred Geskin MetroVavin at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 8 12:17:18 EST 2000

I understand that clumping bamboos spread very slowly.  Some vendors say no
containment is necessary, others say it will eventually spread if not
contained.

How slowly will they spread?  Will the plant reproduce itself to form a
small group, or will I need to purchase multiple plants?

I have a bed that is surrounded by concrete, to a distance of 8 feet (2.5
meters).  Is this far enough to prevent rhizomes from spreading to nearby
gardens?

I have read that some clumping bamboos send up shoots every 1 or 2 feet.
Will 8 feet of concrete be long enough to preven spreading for these
species?

I have read that for running bamboo, 15 feet (5 meters) is adequate for most
species, although some will run further.  Is this correct?

Are there any running bamboos that can be contained within 2.5 meters?

Thanks in advance,
-Alfred

P.S. Some of the species of interest are:

Bambusa multiplex 'alphonse karr'
Chusquea coronalis
Fargesia murelae
Otatea acuminata 'aztecorum'
Phyllostachys bambusoides 'castillonis'
Phyllostachys nigra
Phyllostachys vivax aureocaulis
Pleioblastus pygmeus var. distichus 'mini'
Himalayacalamus falconeri "Damarapa"
H. falconeri hookerianus