houseplants and gnats

Jeremy Harbinson "Jeremy Harbinson" at users.tbpt.wau.nl
Mon Apr 9 06:07:26 EST 2001

With peat-based composts you need to be very careful with both watering
and pot size; too much water (I realise you are being careful) or a plant
in too big a pot (so even if you are watering carefully you may still
have soggy soil) can result in problems wih fungus-flies. The euphemism
for this kind of problem is 'unwanted biological activity' and it is
typical of organic soils - not only are fungus flies a problem but also
the whole range of arthropods etc that normally inhabit aerobic
decomposing organic material. If the problem really seems unstoppable,
you could try using  a compost with an inorganic base, such as sterilised
loam, typical of which are the John Innes type of compost available in
the UK. However, even these types of soils can have fungus flies if
overwatered etc.
all the best,
Jeremy Harbinson