Compositae vs. Asteraceae ??

Cereoid* cereoid at prodigy.net
Tue Aug 7 15:37:43 EST 2001

Not true. Only one name can be correct according to the current rules.

Principle IV of the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature (ICBN)
specifically states:

"Each taxonomic group with a particular circumscription, position, and rank
can bear only one correct name, the earliest that is in accordance with the
Rules, except in specified cases."

http://www.bgbm.fu-berlin.de/iapt/nomenclature/code/tokyo-e/Contents.htm

The old Jussieu plant names were allowed (tolerated) for many years to
placate the old guard botanists who insisted upon using them. It was
politics not botany that allowed their continued use. Now that those
individual have all long since passed away, the Jussieu names are to be
rejected in favor of plant family names in proper form. Before you cite
articles 18.5 and 18.6 in rebuttal, I would say that even though the Jussieu
names are validly published, they are in improper form and should be
rejected for that reason.

Look in Appendix IIB of the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature
(ICBN) for the list of conserved (accepted) plant family names. You will
find that the family name Asteraceae is conserved over the obsolete
Compositae.

http://www.bgbm.fu-berlin.de/iapt/nomenclature/code/tokyo-e/App2bE.htm