looking for latin name

Beverly Erlebacher bae at cs.toronto.edu
Wed Aug 8 16:58:47 EST 2001

In article <ant0810390b0M3Mb at camerama.demon.nl>,
L&P  <l&p at camerama.demon.nl> wrote:

>Last year I received a "poe" as it is called in the Netherlands.
>It is a gourd like thing, about 30 cm in diameter and it is
>edible.
>I planted the seeds this year and lo and behold I have "poe"
>plants in the garden. I've looked everywhere to find a latin
>name but I believe it's not a local plant so my books don't mention
>it. I tried to find it on the web but no luck there either.
>It has male and female white flowers which bloom at nightfall.
>At this moment there is only one "poe" from the 5 seeds.
>It has the common characteristics of a pumpkun or melon plant.
>Can anyone tell me where I can find the name?

It might be Lagenaria siceraria, the Italian cucuzzi squash or a
related gourd.  There are also some Chinese vegetables which would
be worth checking out.  I don't remember whether they have white flowers
or not.  One is 'winter melon' Benincasa hispida, which can certainly
get 30cm or more in diameter and another is the so-called 'fuzzy melon',
which is about as fuzzy as a piece of fibreglas insulation, so watch
out! :-)

Let us know what you find out.