Mystery Plant from New Mexico

Cereoid* cereoid at prodigy.net
Sat Aug 18 06:05:11 EST 2001

Definitely not a Portulaca. Portulaca has an inferior ovary. No other
Portulacaceous genus found in the Southwest resembles it either. None have
two lobed leaves.

Its the stamen appendage and staminoideum that are the key to identifying
it. It probably belongs to a plant family that is otherwise predominantly
tropical. I get the impression it may possibly a member of the
Zygophyllaceae.

Zygophyllum fabago L. perhaps?

http://www.calflora.org/cgi/calflora_query?special=browse&where-genus=Zygoph
yllum&one=T