Tree Restoration

Don dkahler1 at twcny.rr.com
Wed Aug 22 20:19:10 EST 2001

I have a question regarding land I have which I'm planning on building a
house on sometime. For one thing I apologize if there's a newsgroup better
suited for this question as I didn't see one, and secondly, be gentle, as
I'm very new to the realm of plants or trees, as my knowledge of it is very
limited, so, simple terms please. My land is located in Central New York,
with plenty of Maple, Hemlock, Hickory, Beech, some Birch, Cherry, Crab or
Pond Apple and Ash. Besides clearing an area to build, I've been cutting a
lot of wild grape vines, some as thick as 3 to 4 inches which have climbed
up just about every tree on the lot, and many trees have already toppled due
to the vines. I'm hoping this will help in bringing some back to health.
Many of the trees are like poles with no branches or greenery except towards
the top of trees, be it a fifty foot tree or a five foot tree. Is there
anything that can be done to get some of these trees to start branching out
and growing leaves towards the bottom and filling out like a normal tree,
especially the hemlocks, since it would be nice to have them full for
winters. Any info and any thoughts on what my course of action should be is
greatly appreciated. Thanks Again.

Don