Tree Restoration

Rod Savidge savidge at unb.ca
Thu Aug 23 07:54:30 EST 2001

Don,

The description of overwhelming grape vines makes it sound that quite a
good site.

I think you'll find in five years time that your five-foot trees have
filled out, as they have dormant buds that will be released.  Also, most
hardwood species even if of substantial height when cut back will sprout
from the base and/or just below the point of topping.

Look at your hemlock and other conifers carefully.  If you can detect buds
or small sprouts with any green needles, given the enhanced light regime
the trees will eventually fill out.  Note that hemlock is a very shade
tolerant tree, and it is normal for youngsters to spring up beneath its
canopy, given an adequate seed bed.

If having a full crown in your hemlocks is really important to you, the
other thing you might want to consider is slipping twigs into the bole
cambial region at different heights (too late for this year; wait until
next May).  If done carefully, many will graft and grow out as branches,
but it will be no small undertaking, especially if your trees are as thick
barked as I am accustomed to!

Rod Savidge

At 01:19 AM 8/23/01 +0000, you wrote:
>I have a question regarding land I have which I'm planning on building a
>house on sometime. For one thing I apologize if there's a newsgroup better
>suited for this question as I didn't see one, and secondly, be gentle, as
>I'm very new to the realm of plants or trees, as my knowledge of it is very
>limited, so, simple terms please. My land is located in Central New York,
>with plenty of Maple, Hemlock, Hickory, Beech, some Birch, Cherry, Crab or
>Pond Apple and Ash. Besides clearing an area to build, I've been cutting a
>lot of wild grape vines, some as thick as 3 to 4 inches which have climbed
>up just about every tree on the lot, and many trees have already toppled due
>to the vines. I'm hoping this will help in bringing some back to health.
>Many of the trees are like poles with no branches or greenery except towards
>the top of trees, be it a fifty foot tree or a five foot tree. Is there
>anything that can be done to get some of these trees to start branching out
>and growing leaves towards the bottom and filling out like a normal tree,
>especially the hemlocks, since it would be nice to have them full for
>winters. Any info and any thoughts on what my course of action should be is
>greatly appreciated. Thanks Again.
>

>Don

---