Climing Sticking Ficus HELP HELP HELP !!!

Penny Morgan PMORGAN2 at nc.rr.com
Fri Aug 24 10:28:54 EST 2001

I looked up your plant and it is called F. pumila (F. repens) or Creeping
Fig.  It is an evergreen vine and attaches itself to wood, masonry, or even
metal in barnacle fashion.

It looks innocent enough in young stages, but ultimately develops into large
2-4" long leathery leaves on stubby branches that also bear large oblong
fruit.  In time, stems will envelop a three or four story building so
completely that it becomes necessary to keep them trimmed away from windows.
It is safe to use this fig on stone, brick, or stucco homes, but not on
wood, as it will trap moisture and encourage rot.  The roots are invasive.

If I were you I would remove the plant now and either destroy it or move it
to a location like a stone wall or iron fence that you want to cover for
privacy.  Do not plant it near a tree, as it will probably smother it.

Penny
Zone 7 - North Carolina
news:B7A34659.99CD%roback at loop.com...