insect infestation on houseplants

camelid camelidnospam at shaw.ca
Sun Dec 2 22:30:12 EST 2001

Hi,

I have two sad plants (arrowhead vine and california branching ivy) with
smallish beasties infesting them.  Both plants suffer from dead crunchy
parts and tiny brown spots on leaves.  I had a look at the little buggers
under a microscope and made a quick sketch that you can view at
http://www.helfrich.ca/misc/insectsketch.jpg.  There seems to be two types:
a pale translucent type and a dark brown type.  I'm thinking maybe the pale
guy is the juvenile, as he looks pretty much like the brown guy except for
he's less hairy and the head's a bit smaller.  The sketch is of the brown
hairy monster.

If anyone can help me identify these wee beasties and a natural method of
control (soapy water?) it would be much appreciated...

thanks...