Emergency Xmas cactus help....its 95 years old....really.

bill sherren william.sherren at ukonline.co.uk
Fri Feb 2 11:25:38 EST 2001

My PC <f22robin at netscape.net> wrote in article
<7cmk7t87fhgvi7beb9b90h48o69bvibe95 at 4ax.com>...
> I have a very old Xmas cactus that has thrived despite neglect.. I've
> had it 25 years and got it from my grandmother who said it was over 40
> years old when she got it from a great aunt back in 1950..anyway. It
> was doing well, bloomed just after  Thanksgiving, then started looking
> wilted........I thought it was dry and as usuall soaked it in the
> shower ......that didn't help and on close inspection discovered the
> main stem? trunk? whatever....is decayed..its a brown woody part that
> is about 2 inches in diameter...there isn't enough left to support the
> plant..what can I do..I can't let this plant die......help.
> Bill

It sounds like over watering.. I never water my one once the flowers reach
the end of their life. It might be worth taking a number of cuttings from
healthy branches.. And pot them up in a peat compost.. I noticed that when
I took my plant out of the greenhouse just before Christmas a number of
small branches had come off.. They were lying in a pool of water and have
rooted!! On the whole this plant seems to thrive on neglect, just as long
as it is not overwatered..

good luck..

bill
www.fly-catchers.co.uk