Help saving my jade

Cereoid CEREOID at prodigy.net
Mon Feb 5 21:09:11 EST 2001

Propagation of the so called "Jade Plant" (Crassula ovata) is very easy.

You can cut the stems back with a sharp knife. It doesn't matter where you
cut because the cut portion will disarticulate to the nodes all by
themselves. The cut back stems will produce new foliage within a month.

To propagate the removed cuttings, they should be allowed to dry in the air
for a couple of days then placed in moist (not wet) coarse sand to root.
They should have produced enough roots in a couple of months to be repotted
in regular "cactus" soil.

Detached leaves can be rooted in moist sand by inserting the leaf base just
enough in the sand to cover it. They will root and produce new leaves at the
base but will take a number of years to produce a full sized plant. A word
of warning: variegates and chimeras do not come true from leaf cuttings.

"Louise" <louise at speakeasy.org> wrote in message
news:MPG.14e8efacfa2b1be49896be at news-west.speakeasy.net...
> In article <95ms3q$jkfa$1 at newssvr06-en0.news.prodigy.com>,
> CEREOID at prodigy.net says...
> > Dear Edwin,
> >
> > My reply was to Tom in the format he used, not you.
> >
> > If you think anthropomorphizing is okay, then you are part of the
problem.
> > It does noting to solve his plant care problem. It only adds to it.
Despite