Help saving my Tommy

Edwin Hutton e.hutton at ic.ac.uk
Tue Feb 6 11:42:13 EST 2001

Cereoid wrote:

> The moral support is nice, Edwin, but I do believe Tom already has a mother.
> Tom is a big boy and, I may be wrong, he can probably speak for himself.
> Maybe not very well but at least with some semblance of English.
>
> You obviously don't know the true derivation of the term "green fingers". It
> has nothing at all to do with growing plants well but rather with chopping
> them up!!!

Interesting. Here in the UK when someone is described as having
green fingers the implication is always that they are good at
growing plants. However 'green fingers' does not appear in
Webster's dictionary, nor in Roget's Thesaurus, which are the
only online facilities I have available. (You have to pay to
access the Oxford online dictionary :-( ).

Edwin Hutton