amaryllis

Jeremy Harbinson "Jeremy Harbinson" at users.tbpt.wau.nl
Mon Feb 19 08:45:51 EST 2001

You should get seed (yes, you are about to become a proud parent...), but they
will almost certainly not produce plants with flowers that look like those of
the parents. You may be lucky and get something special, but most probably they
will be wild-type. But no problem, they will have a much more interesting story
attached to them. As for the seed, don't rush things; if the seed is OK the
pods will develop and ripen and then you can harvest the seed. I don't think
Amaryllis/Hippaestrum has any special dormancy breaking treatments, so just sow
the seed (at about one seed depth) in sandy seed compost and keep warm and
covered with a glass (or similar) plate and in moderate light (avoid direct
sunlight which in a humid atmosphere could cook the seed or seedlings).
good luck,
all the best,
Jeremy