Ponytail palm

Cereoid CEREOID at prodigy.net
Thu Feb 22 04:17:36 EST 2001

The "Ponytail Palm" is Beaucarnea recurvata.  It normally does not form
suckers.

Some refer to it as Nolina recurvata but the fruit form excludes it from
that genus. Recent DNA studies confirm that Nolina and Beaucarnea should be
recognized as separate genera.

Nolina, Beaucarnea, Calibanus and Dasylirion are now in the family
Nolinaceae not the Agavaceae. All the characters of flower, fruit, seed,
etc. are very different in the two families.

news:971kmk$phg$1 at slb1.atl.mindspring.net...